Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Breakfast The Meal of Champions

Here is a picture of Sunday breakfast from a couple of weeks ago. I like to make a big deal out of Sunday breakfast and use my Rose Chintz China. I usually listen to opera but on this day it was Easy Listening Chinese Pop music. After breakfast I settle in reading the Sunday Newspaper.



So my goal for the month of January is to get a handle on meals in my house. I don't like feeling lost about what to make for meals. I want to get 15 good lunch and dinner recipes that I can use to plan tasty, healthy meals. With the economy the way it is and with a slight reduction in my pay checks (medical insurance went up at work) I want to be able to make sure I am getting the most all around for my money.

I thought this week I would concentrate on breakfast. I'm not one to eat cold cereal and I don't seem to be able to tolerate oatmeal. I love it - it just doesn't seem to love me. I've been making shakes every morning with frozen fruit, tofu, yogurt, orange juice and vitamins. I want to actually do the math and count the calories etc. just to make sure I'm not over doing it.

I've been exploring other options. I've been reading about what the Japanese eat as they have the longest life span. That is until the start eating like Americans. From what I've read they tend to have miso soup, rice and some meat usually fish. That actually sounds good to me. My sister Suzy and I use to love eating soup for breakfast when we were kids. So my plan for breakfast is to get 3 or 4 things I can alternate with during the week. If any one has suggestions I'm all ears as I would love some input.


So Until Next Time. . . .
Kathleen

1 comment:

RLahman said...

Tracey eats slow-cook oatmeal with lots of blueberries every morning for breakfast. I used to make scratch pancakes/waffles for the girls with whole wheat flour, but they are tired of them now, so they eat cold cereal and omelets and bacon. Well Cam still eats waffles if I pour chocolate syrup over them. Hmm. And, she has turned against bacon because she believes it is pig skin. I usually have a banana and coffee, maybe a raw egg in Very Vanilla soy milk from time to time if I think I need more protein.