Sunday, June 1, 2008

Here is the Bandon Table & The Blanket (Toy) Chest

I got many comments on painting an oak table white. It seems everyone thought I was making a mistake. You see I have longed for those white tables in many of the decorating magazines. I'm really happy with the way the table turned out. It is nice having a nice solid table to eat on out at the coast. I hope you will all agree it turned out great.




Remember this is what it use to look like. It had some chew marks along the base so that would had made refinishing it to the wood finish a bit more difficult. As it is I just did lots of sanding and now you can't tell where some dog chewed on the base.




The blanket (toy) chest turned out amazing. See I love to get pieces that make a drastic change when you redo them. I painted the chest inside and out with the ICI Swiss Mocha (as I did with the table). I was able to store many blankets and pillows inside. The cottage doesn't have much storage space so this was a major piece to add. I lucked out too because it fit perfectly where I wanted it to go. I added new silver hinges which look better than the original black ones. I'm going to make a cushion and some little pillows for it now.






Can you believe it use to look like this? I have this in the little guest room at the cottage. It will make a good spot for guest to put their suit case or using as a little seat once I get those pillows and cushion made.





A picture of the table during the process. See the old door in the back ground that use to be the front door to the cottage. I'm trying to think of ways to reuse it. Any suggestions?



Another picture during the process. The base has just the primer on it. The tub in the back ground will be going back into the cottage once I'm done with the refinishing (should be done during June). The outside of the tub and the feet use to be painted purple.




Tools of the trade. The first step in refinishing was to wiped down the table and the toy chest with this gloss remover. I had forgotten how much easier it makes the paint stick. I also sanded a bit to rough up the surface.





I had a can of this in my stash of goodies so I decided to use it for my primer as I was running low on white flat paint. I actually liked the way this went on and it seemed to cover really well. I used two coats of this on the table and chest before applying the ICI Swiss Mocha paint. I think I may use this stuff on all my new projects as well.




Okay now this was my original inspiration for the white table. Wouldn't it be great to find chairs like this. This is a page from a recent Pottery Barn catalog I received in the mail.

Until Next Time

Kathleen

2 comments:

Linda said...

I like it white myself. Very clean looking.

Mrs. Limestone said...

Great job. Painting furniture is such a pain but your results make it worth it.