Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Bandon Wild Game Park

The Bandon Wild Game Park http://www.gameparksafari.com/ is certainly a highlight to any visit to Bandon. I've been there a couple of times. I feel like a little kid when I walk through the gift shop into the park outside. You are greeted with varying sizes of goats, deer and a donkey that my friend Kris calls Shrek. You can purchase food for the animals inside the gift shop but you should be careful with giving little kids or anyone scared of animals one of the cones filled with food. When you walk in the park the little wandering animals smell the food and sometimes they are a little pushy trying to get their share. Don't let that deter you from coming though. It is an experience you will cherish for the rest of your life. I'm always trying to fit in a visit. You can check out the website to see what small animals they will have for petting such as Salton below.



The first time Kris and I saw Salton he was so little. About the size of a spaniel dog. They allowed us into a pen with him and one of us kept his mouth busy with a toy while the other one got to pet him. We traded off in order to experience what touching a small white Bengal tiger was like. In this photo Salton was too big to touch anymore but they would bring him into the pen and allow you get close to take pictures.


Another one of Salton. He has such a sweet disposition. He will always hold a special place in my heart since I touched him when he was little. You can go to the park website (see link above) and see photos of Salton when he was little. They always have little ones to touch. You can find out from the website what animals will be available for petting. I've also touched a small black bear once. The fur on the bear was real coarse - nothing like I thought it would be.

Another one of Salton.


And another one. This one he is playing with a log. He was about the size of a Lab in this photo.


This is a mountain lion cub that we were able to pet. These animals are amazing to see up close. I actually had a mountain lion growl at me when I lived in the country here in Oregon several years back. That was the last straw of country life for me and I begged Damian to move into the city area. We compromised and we are on the edge of the city where the country begins here in Ashland.

Another one of the mountain lion cub.


You can hear this big guy sometimes making this loud sort of huffing/baying noise all the way from the parking lot. The thought of hearing that in the wild is enough to stand your hair on ends. He mostly just lays around though.


The female. She kept looking at the little goat who was scratching his head on the chain link fencing. I'm sure she was thinking, "Come on deary just a little closer and you will be lunch." You can see the electric wiring which is in two layers around the inside of each chain link fence cage.


The female tiger was a little restless when we were there and she kept pacing up and down her cage. They walk so close to you. It is something to be that close. Of course, as you can tell from other postings - I am a cat person.


This black panther shot shows more of the chain link fencing which they call home. Sad I know but no matter how much I like cats I wouldn't want to be there without the fence.


And I saved this shot for last because Kris is going to kill me when she finds out I posted this. My friend Kris is holding a little baby wallaby. It was so cute. They have various animals that they will let you hold. On this particular visit one of them was a wallaby. They had the little fellow in a baby pen with a little pouch for him to sleep in. His mother either died or abandoned him I can't remember which. So when you are in Bandon, Oregon you must consider the Wild Game Park as a must see!


Until Next Time

Kathleen

No comments: