Sunday, February 1, 2009

Shepard's Pie

I couldn't manage to get onto my site last week. The early part of the week was spent nursing a massive headache that kept me home from work for two days. I wanted to finish up some postings regarding my month of getting my meals down. So I'm going to add postings now to round out the month and come back to this later in February for an update.

This was dinner from last Sunday (how sad that I waited so long to post.) My niece Brittnee and her boyfriend Angelo. My Shepard's and Chicken Pot Pie are their favorites. I think it is really the Herbs de Provence that I put in the mix that is the secret ingredient they really love.


My plate which really doesn't look that great but it was really good. You will just have to take my word for it. I baked bread in my bread machine. I use my bread machine at least once a week for the pizza dough for "Friday Night Pizza." I just love the smell of the bread baking but then I don't know many people who don't like that smell.



The small pie on the left I made with ground chicken and the larger pie on the right has hamburger meat in it. For winter I like to make this every other week.




This this the ground beef pie.



The Chicken Shepard's Pie before the mash potatoes.


After I topped with the potatoes but before I put it into the oven. The recipe below goes into a 13"x9" pan like this one. I find the icing spatula works best for spreading the mash potatoes.







Kathleen's take on Shepard's Pie



1 lb of ground beef
1/2 large onion
1 cup of frozen green peas
1 cup of chopped fresh carrots
2 small cans of cream of mushroom soup
4 tablespoons of Herbs de Provence
Salt & Pepper to your taste
Mash potatoes to cover


Brown ground beef with the onion. Drain off any fat after browning. Add 2 tablespoons of Herbs de Provence and salt and pepper to taste. Put mixture into a 13"x9" pan. Meanwhile - put carrots into pot of water and boil until slightly tender but not soft - then turn off heat under pot and add peas to the pot and let it stand for 5-10 mins. Drain carrots and peas and put into your 13" x 9" pan. Add the remaining Herbs de Provence and the two cans of soup making sure that it is well mixed. Top with mash potatoes and bake in oven on 350 degrees for about 45 mins. I often use left over mash potatoes to cover my pies. I think it would be about 4 or 5 large potatoes.





Enjoy - okay so I sort of suck at writing down recipes because although I have a zillion cookbooks I usually cook by smell and sight. I use the cookbook to get the basic recipe and then I always seem to change it.




Until Next Time . . . . .

Kathleen

1 comment:

RLahman said...

Awesome. We really struggle with suppers. Well, and lunches. Breakfasts used to be pretty set, but have suffered lately. Okay, we are in deep weeds when it comes to meals.