Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

My mother passed away two years ago in March. It doesn't take Mother's Day for me to know how lucky I am to have had her as my mother. Once I moved to Oregon I wasn't able to visit her much (she lived in Southern California) but we spoke on the phone often. I remember during her last few months I would call her to ask her silly questions and to thank her for various things. "Mom thanks for not letting me stay in the sun too long." She just laughed at me and said, "You're welcome."

She was talented. She sewed all of my clothes. I only remember buying one prom dress from the time I was in junior high through my senior year. She could make anything. One time I drew a purse and my mother made it for me. I'm sure my mother saw it as a necessity as I was the youngest of six children. To me it made me feel special as all my clothes were one of kind pieces of art. I have two sisters and we all sew. Mom made my eldest sister Becky's wedding dress and I'm sure that is why I succeeded in making my own wedding dress.


Mom thank you for everything - I sure miss you!

My mom, her dog Tina and me. I was in first grade when this was taken.
My mother and my oldest brother Kenneth. Mom was sixteen when he was born so she was probably barely seventeen when this photo was taken somewhere in North Dakota.


This is mom and my brother Dennis. My mother was probably around nineteen or twenty years old. This is such a typical picture of her as she was always trying to make you feel better. I'm not sure why Dennis was unhappy but leave it to her to try and cheer him up.


This is mom with my husband Damian. This was taken in the 1990's before my father passed away. My mother actually got very thin towards the end of her life. She suffered from diabetes which eventually took her life. After my father passed away she took good care of herself and lasted much longer with the diease then anyone ever thought she would. She always kepted herself busy sewing and crocheting. I credit my mother to the fact that I am a very methodical, organized person. She was very organized way beyond her time. She was also artist and could draw really well. My three brothers and I all draw.




This is the way I remember my mother the most. We always had lots of friends hanging out at our house. My mother was a great cook. I think she thought I would never learn how to cook when I was young. I only showed a desire to make brownies. When I would visit she would always make my favorite chicken pot pie.

This is a mother's day card I made for her in first grade. This is the front and back of the card. She saved it all those years.


This is the inside of the card. We copied this off of the board: Butterfly hover near my Mother tell her that I dearly love her Love Kathleen

Many called her Sue but to me she will always be Mom.

Until Next Time



1 comment:

SeaWorthy said...

Hi Kathleen,
What a totally lovely post, made me cry!
We are all so lucky to have the moms that were chosen for us, dont you think? That card you made is precious- to say the least.

Your blog is looking great! Are you having fun with it? thats the most important part!
Have a great week, I think its suppose to start turning warmer, finally!!!
lotsa love from the beach!
Lisa
coastal nest