Monday, April 14, 2008

More Furniture From The Ashland House

More Photographs of Refinished Furniture


Here is more furniture I have refinished over the years for my Ashland home.


This dresser I refinished around 1985. It was painted pink when it was given to me. I used a paint stripper and took all the paint off and rubbed layers of Linseed Oil into the wood (sanding between each coat with fine sand paper.) Many hours went into this dresser but I have never regretted all the work. I put milk glass knobs on to finish it off.

This dresser I refinished within the last couple of years. I paid $20.00 for it at the Ashland Goodwill Store. I used white paint from ICI called Swiss Coffee. It has a matt finish and the paint is wonderful. I use it for all my furniture now. I don't remember what type of finish the dresser had on it before I painted it. I don't strip my furniture instead I lightly sandpaper each item to rough up the finish so paint will adhere well. Then I use a flat white paint for a primer. I discovered when I was refinishing furniture as a business that flat paint works well as a primer preventing old coats of paint and varnish from bleeding through. I usually use two coats of flat paint (usually white) and two coats of the ICI Swiss Coffee to finish it off. Another trick I learned was making sure the paint dries well between coats. This will help keep the paint from peeling. I painted the knobs with green acrylic hobby paint. Someday I will replace them with green glass knobs.

This little dresser I use as a bedside nightstand. It was stained dark brown when I purchased it. I first painted it black to match an old bedroom theme I had years ago. It has been given the ICI Swiss Coffee treatment. The knobs are clear acrylic shaped like flowers.



This little dresser is also being used as a bedside nightstand. I wish I had a before picture as you wouldn't believe what it looked like. It had a split top and painted bright orange. It was perfect for the type of challenge I like in furniture. Very ugly and cheap. I paid $4.00 for it at the Goodwill "As Is Store" in Medford, Oregon. I filled the cracked top with paint able bathroom sealant. The type you purchase in a tube to seal off the edge around the tub. I've also used car bondo to fill in cracks in furniture. I layer the sealant a little at a time letting it dry between layers. I use a wet cloth to smooth the finish. Then I apply the paint. This little dresser was also painted black for years before it received the ICI Swiss Coffee paint treatment. I put what my mother-in-law calls my signature style of clear glass knobs to finish it off. This is on my side of the bed and I store books and magazines in the drawers to read before falling asleep.


This nightstand was one of the first Shabby Chic finishes I ever painted. I purchase it at a garage sales in the mid 1990's for $5.00. It has a clear glass knob for the drawer pull.

I purchased this little nightstand at St. Vincent de Pauls after I moved to Oregon. I paid $20.00 for it and at the time I couldn't believe I was willing to pay so much. I fell in love with the shape. This was painted before I discovered the ICI Swiss Coffee. I don't remember what brand I used but it is painted with cream or off-white matt paint. It looks very similar to the Swiss Coffee. I put green glass knobs for drawer pulls.
I now take before photos so the items I am refinishing for Bandon will have the before and after photos. I still have a few more pieces to share with you later this week from my Ashland home. I have even done a few fabric items.
Until Next Time
Kathleen