Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Even More Furniture From the Ashland House

My little corner of the bedroom

My cat Oscar loves to hide under the chair. My mother made the dresser scarf and the cowboy hat was my fathers.

This little chair is another item I wish I had a before picture to show you. It was covered in light pink fabric with white poka dots. The fabrics had many torn areas held together with tape. I knew this would look perfect with my birds-eye maple vanity. I purchased it a swap meet or flea market as some people call it around 10 years ago. I think I paid around $5.00 for it.


Here is a close up view of the back which has these decorative tacks on the upper back side of the chair. I purchased all the materials: decorative tacks, rope trim, fabric and cardboard strip at JoAnn Fabrics about seven years ago.


The gold rope trim. This was sew onto the fabric and then stapled onto the chair.

This is the cardboard strip which I put over the fabric before stapling onto the chair. The cardboard strip allows for a straight edge.


An even closer look at the cardboard strip. This strip is under the skirt on all four sides of the chair. I was a little nervous using it at first until I realised how easy it was to use.

This little blanket chest my husband and I refinished in 1982. I purchased it at an estate sale for $2.00. It was in very bad shape. No fabric covering and practically in pieces. We re-glued and stained the wood pieces and then put the padding and fabric on it. I made the pillows myself out of old bark cloth.

Until Next Time
Kathleen

1 comment:

SeaWorthy said...

Hi Kathleen,
THanks for visiting the ol blog o mine.
We live in Aberdeen on the coast and our beach house is out at Paacific beach. Fun times.
The only advice I could give you about your blog is do wht you want with it! ITs all about you and what you like, dislike, love or hate! I just write mostlyabout all of those things, as you can see. I have been posting not even for a year, and now Im not sure what I would do without all my good friends I have found along the way.
I use to have that same birdseye maple dresser when I was growing up. execept it didnt have sucha fancy mirror, more plain.Crazy huh?
Have fun withyour blog, sister..Stop by ANY time.
Take care
Lisa
coastal nest