Sunday, April 13, 2008

Furniture

Time to Think About Furniture
We are down to the last bits and pieces inside the Bandon cottage Painting a bit of trim, installing shelving, the crown molding in the kitchen, and restoring the claw foot tub. So I have been collecting furnture to paint for the furnishings. I thought I would share with you of some of the furniture I painted for my Ashland home. When we first moved to Oregon I had a couple of antique stalls which I sold furniture I had purchased and repainted. I'm a little partial to the Shabby Chic look. Lots of white paint. I tend to not distress the pieces I keep for myself but I found that the pieces I sold would sell faster if I distressed the piece before taking them to the antique mall.
This is my desk and one of my favorite pieces. The knobs are green glass

A closer look at the top

A black and white photograph taken in France during one of my trips



A reduced copy of a calendar with French photographs

Color photograph from one of my trips to Paris copied as a black and white on a color copier

A ticket stub to the house in Ambroise, France where Leonardo Da Vinci lived out his last days. The ticket stub was in color and I copied it using the black and white setting on a color copier

Color photograph I shot of a stall at the Ambroise open market. This was also copied as a black and white photo on a color copier.


The chair I refinished to go with the desk. The chair pad is recovered in antique bark cloth

This desk and chair is one of my favorite pieces of furniture. My computer sits on this desk so I spend many hours here. I found the desk at the Goodwill store in Ashland in 2002. I paid $99.00 for it. I painted the whole desk semi-gloss white. At first even the top was just white. The top of the desk had been in pretty bad shape. I wasn't happy with the way the top turned out and wanted to hide some of the flaws that the paint couldn't hide. I took a Calendar with French photographs, photographs I took from trips to France along with ticket stubs from French tourist sites and French postcards and I copied them on a color copier on the black and white setting. I reduced the pictures if they were larger than 4x6 inches. I then glued the photographs onto the desk with thinned Elmer's glue. Once the glue dried I put a couple of coats of clear matt acrylic finish. The chair I spray painted semi-gloss white.

I'll share more with you next time and promise not to wait so long to make a posting.

Until Next Time

Kathleen